Join our Team! We are currently hiring for an Executive Director. See below for full details and how to apply. Deadline to apply is February 20th.
Native American Food Sovereignty Alliance
Executive Director Job Search
The Native American Food Sovereignty Alliance (NAFSA) is seeking applications and nominations for the position of Executive Director. Currently, this is a half-time position with the potential to become full-time dependent upon future funding.
NAFSA is dedicated to restoring the Indigenous food systems that support Indigenous self-determination, wellness, cultures, values, communities, economies, languages, families, and rebuild relationships with the land, water, plants and animals that sustain us. NAFSA brings people, communities (rural, remote and urban), organizations and Tribal governments together to share, promote and support best practices and policies that enhance dynamic Native food systems that promote holistic wellness, sustainable economic development, education, re-established trade routes, stewardship of land and water resources, peer-to-peer mentoring, and multi-generational empowerment. NAFSA works to put the farmers, wildcrafters, fishers, hunters, ranchers and eaters at the center of decision-making on policies, strategies and natural resource management.
NAFSA is seeking an Executive Director to help the organization as it works to realize this vision. The Executive Director is expected to exercise independent judgement and initiative in the performance of duties and assignments, and should have experience in working with all levels of management and should also demonstrate the ability to work cooperatively with other staff.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following experience and traits:
- Understanding of, commitment to, and passion for Native American food sovereignty, Native communities, and Native world views;
- Experience in program planning, implementation, and evaluation within the Native American nonprofit and/or Native American community sectors;
- Excellent communication skills, including interpersonal, staff relationships, public speaking, and/or written;
- Strong management skills based on inclusivity, cooperation, and shared leadership;
- Minimum five years experience managing programming and/or organizations within Native American communities;
- Ability to coordinate complex programs in cooperation with staff, partners, communities, and the NAFSA Leadership Council;
- Track record of obtaining, managing and/or reporting on grants from foundations and/or government agencies to meet grant compliance responsibilities;
- Respect for tradition, as well as a willingness to embrace innovation and creativity;
- Experience building networks and partnerships;
- High levels of motivation and ability to be a self-starter;
- Present strong references; and
- Possess a bachelors degree and/or equivalent experience.
- Position may require extra hours to meet deadlines. Occasional work travel may be necessary.
Working with the NAFSA Leadership Council, staff and partners, the Executive Director will have primary responsibility to:
- Oversee planning and implementation of all NAFSA programming;
- Work with the NAFSA Leadership Council to further our collective vision;
- Provide administrative management and leadership;
- Develop and implement strategic and operational plans;
- Lead fundraising and public relations;
- Supervise financial management; and
- Develop strong and healthy board relations and expectations.
*Native Preference given
If interested, submit cover letter, resume and 2-3 references to email@example.com February 20th, 2019. Hiring will take place Spring 2019.